(Last year’s lessons can be found here.)
1. One Year Old Boys have no appreciation for being dragged into the living room by their sister first thing in the morning.
… Until they see that there’s something in it for them.
They they’re completely on board.
…Until they realize they can’t open it on their own.
Then they go back to having no appreciation.
2. Easter morning photos are all about the girls.
Because the girls get to wear the glamorous dresses and the fancy jewelry.
…and when you try to add in the boys,
it just frustrates the ones for whom Easter morning photos are all about.
So I’m sorry, Noah, but you are never going to have a montage of all of your Easter outfits.
But your sister is.
I know, it totally reeks of sibling inequality.
3. Photoshop is a powerful tool. Sure, magazine covers use it to give us all an unrealistic view of perfection and beauty, but giving one’s husband a little help on the issue of forehead sheen is an exciting improvement.
and without sheen.
Okay, I might have given my stark white legs just a tiny touch of help in the color department, too.
But that’s only because Photoshop is such a powerful tool.
4. Photographing all of the cousins made it quite apparent how sore-thumbishly Noah fits in with the rest of the family.
A bunch of Greeks and … a blond.
Speaking of Greeks, Chris was feeling especially Clarkish this Easter and wanted to contribute something new and grandiose to our traditional Greek Easter Lunch.
So he decided to attempt his own personal favorite Greek dish, Saganaki.
5. Flaming cheese is a shockingly frightening concept to a five year old.
6. But a delectably amazing dish for less-jumpy adults.
Want to know how to make it?
Slice Kefalograviera cheese into 1/2” slices, then dip it in cold water and then flour. Fry the cheese until it gets a nice brown crust, then lay in a bowl.
Pour Brandy over the cheese,
then immediately light it.
Have the entire household yell “OPA!!”, while simultaneously throwing napkins into the air and smashing plates against the walls.
(Make sure that the napkins aren’t thrown near the open flame, and feel free to skip the dish smashing unless you’re really itching for a new set anyway.)
Allow the cheese and brandy to burn for a bit, then squeeze lemons over it to give it the final flavor and extinguish the flames.
Serve immediately. Except to five year olds who are terrified that it might spontaneously erupt into flames again.
7. A great way to give your wedding-present towels a last hurrah before replacing them is to take them outside and set a clean, naked baby with a chocolate bunny on them.
(the following is a completely unnecessary amount of photos of a Baby and His Bunny.)
8. Eventually, chocolate babies will get lonely, and attempt to crawl into their mother’s lap.
9. When rebuffed, their chocolate high will be blown as they languish in their deluge of grief.
10. But babies bounce back quickly.
11. Five year old OCD girls are much neater with their bunnies, and therefore less fun to photograph.
But that’s okay, because Easter morning photos are all about them.