Eat Your Legos.

Jello Legos

It has now come to pass that everyone in our family is obsessed with Legos (except, perhaps, for me – but I’m obsessed with my family being obsessed with them – you get that, right?)

Even Noah has been bitten by the bug, which is bringing Chris’ life dreams into complete fulfillment.

As such, when I ran across Lego Ice Cube Trays on Amazon, I knew I had to get them. I found the actual Lego branded tray, and a set of non-Lego brand tray (which creates slightly larger blocks,) and a non-Lego brand minifigure tray.

So I bought them all.

They were the flexible silicon kind of mold, so I also knew that they would be much fun for creating all sorts of Lego-themed treats.

(Except for Cake Pops. I will never attempt Cake Pops again, no matter how much it would please my family.)

Our first foray into the world of edible Legos was Jell-O.

(I had pinned the “How to make Jell-O Legos by pouring them into the bricks” forever ago, but I never could figure out how you were supposed to get them out of the hard bricks.)

I wanted a fun school craft for Valentine’s Day, and this was the perfect project, even though it has nothing to do with Valentine’s.

(I struggle with cohesion, just like certain Project Runway teams.)

It took me a while to find a good Jell-O Jiggler recipe that would work for one box (most were written for three boxes of Jell-O, but I really wanted to do one box at a time to get a variety of colors.) But when I did find one, it was amazingly simple:

1 cup of boiling water
1 packet of Knox Gelatine (is “gelatine” a Canadian spelling? But that’s what the package says…)
1 box of Jell-O

Somehow the creating of Jell-O was much simpler than I remembered it from my childhood (yes, this is the first time I’ve ever made it with Ali) – it seemed to take so much longer when I was shorter.

We quickly boiled the water, mixed in the Knox and Jell-O, and put the concoction into a measuring cup for Ali to pour into the molds:

Jello Lego Mold

Seriously – it’s that simple.

The only tip that we did discover was that they turned out prettiest if we could minimize the bubbles in the mixture, so very light whisking was in order. You can see in this picture that the Mr. Purple Minifig has a bit of a bubbly gut:

Jello Legos

(He needs some Lego Jell-O Bean-O.)

But other than that, it couldn’t have been easier.

We let our molds refrigerate for a couple of hours, and when we removed them, we pulled at the edges of the silicone mold and popped them out from the bottom. Most of them came out immediately, leaving no shrapnel behind.

Jello Legos

(This recipe would also work fabulously if, perhaps, you own a set of Naked Baby Moulds. Maybe use Peach-Flavored Jell-O to give it a nice flesh tone…)

We ended up doing six colors – two in the morning, two at lunch, and two at dinner. Each round took at most ten minutes.

Jello Legos

The Minifigures added a lot of charm, and I would love to find molds of other Lego brick sizes and shapes to add to our collection.

Jello Legos

(Or get really geeky and create my own molds.)

I’m glad I had all three molds (and an extra star wand mold,) because it was just a little shy of holding two batches at once. We poured the extra Jell-O into a pan, on which we used non-cohesive random holiday cookie cutters.

Ali is already asking me what we can make next. She wants to try molding Soft Butter Mints into Legos, and I want to make some Mommy-Therapy-Chocolates.

What else can we make?

Comments

1. 1
    Jennifer says:

I have seen this all over pinterest, only usually the caption says you should fill actual lego bricks with jello. Since I cannot actually reach through my laptop to smack people in the head, I end up smacking my own head.

2. 2
    Valerie says:

Crayons! We made crayons in our brick mold and they were (and are) a big hit!

3. 3
    Tracy Bentley says:

I am so glad that you posted this. I will be ordering some lego jello trays…. my son loves legos…

4. 4
    Melanie Miller says:

Oh, I love this! How fun! Legos are still a huge hit in our house, even with 15 and 12 yr olds. Could you make cookies in these molds? What about bath fizzies? Or lip balm? I like Valerie’s idea of crayons. Ooh, how about marshmallows? Maybe I need to order these, too. :)

• 4.1
      Rachel says:

You’re full of good ideas!!

And you know – they’re silicon, so I should be able to bake in them, too, right? I have other silicon bakeware…

5. 5
    Jennifer says:

Keep in mind that once you do crayons, soap, etc in them, you can’t really use them for food. I’d dedicate one tray to non food. My son had Lego soap from whole foods and loooooves it. I’m pretty sure it’s just melt and pour glycerine soap.

6. 6
    Eva says:

fun! perhaps i’ll have to order a tray someday. i wonder if my kids would eat jello if i did this…

7. 7
    Valerie says:

Oops, we totally still use them for food. I just cleaned them really well. My kids still chew on their crayons occasionally so it can’t be worse than that, right? :) I just remembered that I also used them as chocolate molds. White and milk chocolate with m&ms stuck on the back. MmmHmm. :) And ice cube trays – the kids LOVE lego ice cubes in their drinks!

8. 8
    Kaylee says:

I really wish you had written this before my fiance’s birthday! He would have loved this! Oh well, I have another gift to give him now! I’m so excited to try this out! We both love Legos!

9. 9
    Christy says:

I will probably have to get some of these pans as well, although my son isn’t a Jello fan. If they love Legos, you need to take them to Legoland Florida. We just returned and my son had a great time. Most of the rides are designed for 5-12 year olds so there wasn’t a single ride he couldn’t do. The mini Lego cities are really awesome too.

10. 10
    Misty says:

I saw where you can pack brown sugar in a container and press objects (Legos) in it and make a mold. It was on Pinterest. Search for brown sugar mold. You can make your own that way!!

11. 11
    sue says:

Hi Rachel,

I ran across your picture of jello-legos in the internet. I have started a fanpage on Facebook called LegoMania… It is dedicated to my second son and his son who are LegoManiacs… https://www.facebook.com/pages/LegoMania/650561631668245

I love the idea of the molds and will be ordering them for Christmas gifts…

I also have several blogs; http://artgirl,me. is one

I would love to talk about your lego post and link to your blog.

Please let me know if you are willing…

Thank you so much your work on this blog is very inspiring.

Sue Hass
    Facebook@ suzupetal

12. 12
    Lydia says:

Hey Rachel –

What a neat idea! I work at the ad agency responsible for JELL-O social media, and we’d love to chat more with you about this recipe/post. It looks super family-friendly! Please email at the address provided and I’ll fill ya in if you’re interested.

Cheers!

Lydia

13. 13
    Jen v says:

I can’t get the jello out of my molds without ruining the bricks! I tried using a little spray oil and they still stick like crazy. I’m banging my head against the counter.