Downton Abbey MBTI Chart.

There’s one for Star Wars, and one for Harry Potter.

But alas, no MBTI personality chart for Downton Abbey.

Not one to shy away from helping out in the need for Downton Abbey graphics, I felt it was my duty to step in and solve this problem. I pondered each character, researched the personality types, and sincerely hope that I correctly pegged the upstairs and the downtstairs.

And I’m glad I did, because seeing the types in Downton Abbey terms helped me realize that my last personality test result was wrong – there’s no way I’m a Carson – at least not anymore.

I’m totally a Mrs. Hughes. I think.

(And yes, I am hacking season four and watching with the British. And no, there are no spoilers in this chart.)

Here’s an explanation of the letters in the terms of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator:

First Letter: E or I – Extroversion/Introversion – Are you stimulated and refreshed by being with other people, or by being alone?

Second Letter: S or N – Sensing/Intuition – Do you use your five senses to interpret the world and prefer facts, or do you rely on your instincts and prefer hunches?

Third Letter: T or F – Thinking/Feeling  Do you lean towards using logic and objective criteria, or values and subjective ideas?

Fourth Letter: J or P – Judging/Perceiving – Are you purposeful, liking structure, plans, rules, and organization, or are you laid-back and flexible, open to change, and explorative?

Everybody ready? Here’s the chart:

So. Which character are you? Please report in the comments.

Click on the following pictures to visit my other Downton Abbey Graphics:

How to tell if you're at risk of dying unexpectedly in Downton Abbey.Downton Abbey

Find my Big Bang Theory MBTI Chart Here:

Big-Bang-Theory-MBTI_thumb.jpg

Comments

1. 1
    Lindsey Murphy says:

I love this!! I’m “Anna”, married to “Carson.” :)

2. 2
    Amy Nabors says:

Well since I’m an INF but am pretty even on the J & P I’m a mix of Bates & Matthew.

3. 3
    Sheri says:

As an INFP, I am Matthew, and also Luna Lovegood and Luke Skywalker!

4. 4
    Rachel says:

Anna!! Which would have totally been my guess from the beginning!

5. 5
    leah kahkola (@Leah_MK) says:

I’m Anna for Downton Abbey, Qui-GOn for Star Wars, and Ron Weasley for HP. :D Yay ENFP!

6. 6
    MamaHen says:

It appears that I am a mix of Matthew and Tom. Which sounds like good husband material to me, so maybe Mark is happy he got me for a wife :)

7. 7
    june seghni (@ummlilia) says:

not at all surprised to find I am O’Brien..lol..

8. 8

Apparently, I’m Bates… I don’t watch the show though. Is he a good guy?
    (And I’m Obi-Wan and Lupin. So, I’m a dude.)

9. 9
    Ann Marie says:

I’m a cross between Lady Grantham and Sybil, leaning more toward Lady G. Really, I’m split with S and N AND J and P, so I can be any of the bottom 4, Violet, Lady G, Sybil, and Mary, depending on the occasion and circumstances. I’m complicated…..arg.

10. 10
    Kate says:

I’m Carson – yay!! He’s my favorite!! My husband is Sybil. I think that’s a pretty good match, right?

Great chart – thanks for your dedication in making it :)

11. 11
    Lisa says:

I am Sybil… almost Mary, since I am barely an F over a T. 20 years ago, I was probably most like Violet, but living more life, and making more mistakes, and realizing life is much more complicated than my simple solutions, my N and J have increased. I love Violet, though, and can really appreciate her, and we laugh most often at her character!

12. 12
    Kitty Engle says:

Well apparently I am Sybil although your opinion would be appreciated.

13. 13
    Carrie says:

I’m Matthew and my husband is Mary. :)

14. 14
    Michelle says:

I”m a Sybil! Wait: does that mean I die?

15. 15
    Stephanie says:

I am Lord Grantham, but I don’t watch the show so I don’t know if he’s a good guy or not. As an ISFJ, I’m also Neville Longbottom and C-3PO. I think it’s a little odd that they included a droid in the personality lineup, but I’m just gonna roll with it. Thanks for posting these–it was fun!

16. 16
    Robin says:

I’m somewhere between Mrs. O’Brien and Mary. I am not surprised… I have always sympathized a LOT with Mary. I can never decide if I’m an introvert or an extrovert, but the quiz said I was an “I”. Are you sure Mary is an extrovert? She is always so exhausted after an evening with people, and often times wants to avoid them. I am almost inclined to think Mrs. O’Brien is the extrovert and Mary the introvert…

17. 17
    Heidi says:

I’m either O’Brien or Mary depending on whether I’m having an introvert or extrovert day. I’m picking Mary, though, because I’d hate to think I go through life with a sour look like O’Brien has.

18. 18

ESFP- I’m Rose!

19. 19
    Casey A. says:

I’m Mr. Bates and Obi-Wan Kenobi…I had no idea!

20. 20
    RoselyC says:

I’m hacking season 4 too. And I’m a Mathew. Poor Mathew :'(

21. 21
    Giann says:

Even though I don’t watch Downton Abbey, I still like these charts! Thanks for making one! And for the record, I’m Mary. :)

22. 22
    christina says:

I was sure I was Carson. Took the test, turns out I’m Lord Grantham.Carson seems so much better now

23. 23

I’m afraid to do it. WHAT IF I’M O’BRIEN?!

24. 24
    Christine says:

I’m Edith — my husband is Mr. Bates! I knew there was a reason I liked that character so much :)

25. 25
    Nikki says:

I’m Bates, but I’ve tested as Matthew depending on the particular assessment tool, and prior to college, I was Anna. I’m married to Carson…I think. :)

26. 26
    Rebecca says:

Finally an assessment that doesn’t turn my husband into a villain. I am an ESFJ and he is an INTP.. Fun to see this!.

27. 27
    Jenna says:

I’m O’Brien. (: Darn, I’m going to have to start watching this show because of you! Not that I don’t already have 328397 tv shows to catch up on. Thanks Rachel! Haha

28. 28
    Elizabeth says:

I’m an ENFJ so I am Sybill. I definitely loved her character. *sniffles*

29. 29
    Erin says:

I’ve been seeing this all over FB today! How fun! I am an ESFJ — Lady Grantham. :) Can’t wait for the episodes in January!

• 29.1

The season finale just showed in England last night, then of course there will be the Christmas special. Hopefully this year they don’t ruin all of England’s Christmas days like they did last year!

30. 30
    Jenny says:

I’m O’Brien, and I hate myself for it.

31. 31
    Jennifer Paxton says:

Violet here. Sounds pretty spot on for me.

32. 32
    Krystal says:

I’ve never watched this show ever, but I’m Lady Grantham.

33. 33
    connienoelle says:

Of course, I’m Anna (I would’ve guessed that off the bat)! It seems there are a lot of ENFPs who are drawn to this by the comments :)

I can definitely see parts of Sybil in me too, probably because my P/J is the least defined (I call myself a reluctant perceiver).

34. 34
    Tiffany Erickson says:

I am an ENFP like Anna, which startled me because I see her as someone I admire but am not like. However the last episode of season 4 I watched made me so very angry at her, because I didn’t feel she was standing up for herself. My anger seemed strange to me, since I’ve never felt that way about her before. But after almost a week I realized I was angry because like Anna, I am a rock when I defend others, but I cow before defending myself. It is a frustrating thing to realize.

(don’t think that was a spoiler, really…. pretty generic)

I also would have tested as Sybil when in my teens and 20’s. I have changed from a more concrete way of dealing with life on task, planned, organized and buttoned down, to being far more fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants.

I find it fascinating that our ‘personality’ is fluid, not entirely fixed. Perhaps and Extrovert will never become and Introvert, but someone who naturally operates on Perceiving can suppress that and function as Judging if they feel they must. I also think someone who naturally operates on Feeling can stifle that and attempt to run on Thinking, and make the people around them think that is succeeding for them to a point.

Last note: the HP chart is highly inaccurate. The Downton Abbey Chart is far more accurate. Consider, for instance, that Snape is supposedly like Carson. This is not true. Snape is like O’Brien. He operates far more on intuition and instinct than Carson ever would. Snape sniffs out things that don’t ‘feel right’. Carson is purely factual and analytical. Or consider Ron. Does anyone honestly think he’s the same personality type as ANNA? That’s just silly. Ron is far less imaginative. His flights of fancy are limited to very practical things and narrow in scope. He’s quite pragmatic. I think he’s more like Rose– accepting of others, easy going, fun loving, exuberant, spontaneous, adventurous. Being an ENFP, I can say that I am nothing like Ron. Lol.. The same is true for Hermione, Harry, and many others. Chart isn’t right.

• 34.1

I’m glad you found my chart accurate! The only one I wasn’t certain on was Edith – but she is a hard one to peg!

And I too find it fascinating that our personalities are fluid. Mine has changed a lot over the years!

• Tiffany Erickson says:

I think you ‘pegged’ Edith correctly. I think this, lol, because my best friend of 12 years is SO MUCH like Edith, the longer the series goes the more I am amazed at how Edith’s actions/reactions match up…. even things like pauses in her speech, word choice, the things she chooses not to say…. and my best friend is VERY MUCH ‘The Artist. Very private, avoids conflict, holds self to a high standard, prefers to do her creative work in private. I do agree however that she is difficult to peg, and has some Provider traits as well.

• 34.2
      Patricia says:

I’m Matthew who I really like but thought I’d be more like Anna although she’s more extroverted. Really cool!

35. 35
    Angela says:

I’m an ENTJ – Mary married to an INTP – Matthew, but fortunately we are both alive and doing well. Very interesting!

36. 36
    Amanda Sheren says:

I am ESTJ so Violet! love it.

37. 37
    Megan says:

I’m ESFJ bit pretty close to ISFJ too so it looks like I’m one of the Granthams depending on the day (or time of month… Ahem).

38. 38
    Pearls says:

ESFJ Lady Grantham. Hmmm okay I am 75 so, I have earned this place. I think I have evolved.

39. 39
    Pearls says:

ESFJ … Lady Grantham..
    Hmmmthink I have evolved

40. 40
    Shannon says:

I am Lord Grantham. My husband is Mary. So relieved that neither of us are O’Brian. ;)

41. 41
    cjoy says:

I’m Mr. Bates. This is great!
    As an aspiring author, I absolutely love this and will be looking at this often, no doubt–it gives me an excellent reference for my characters’ personalities. :)

42. 42
    bonnie says:

sybil

43. 43
    julie says:

Who else, but Maggie Smith , the organizer! I keep telling people the world would be so such better if I were in charge!

44. 44
    Kristen H. says:

Love this! I am Carson and I’m married to Mary :)

45. 45
    Annie D says:

O’Brien? Really?? She scares me. BTW, I’m moving to Alabama in the spring (from Connecticut!) and I’ll need lots of advice on how to behave like a proper Southerner!

46. 46
    Bryant Chitwood says:

I’m Lady Grantham, the provider!

47. 47
    Elizabeth says:

I knew already that I am an INFP, so I am like Matthew. Matthew is/was my favorite character by far on the show, and I could relate to how he felt and acted.

My second favorite character is his mother, Isobel, an ESTP. Do ESTP’s attract INFP’s?

48. 48

Agree on Matthew and Mr. Bates. Good insight on Lady Mary.

Here is my analysis of MBTI applied to the television show, “Modern Family”

49. 49
    Sherrill Szumik says:

I am an ESFJ…lady grantham

50. 50
    Amanda walters says:

I’m a mix between Lady Grantham and Sybil. I probably should reactive my Netflix so I can watch the series lol

51. 51
    Nyla Poser says:

I am a cross between the Guardian and the Dowager.

52. 52
    Donna Lamont says:

I turn out to be Thomas, although I didn’t really like him at the start- he did begin to grow on a person in later episodes. I really like how the dowager duchess speaks out her mind and relate to her, but that’s not how I came out in this quiz- darn

53. 53
    Nancie VA says:

I am 100% Lady Grantham – spot on!

54. 54
    Joyce says:

I am almost like Lady Mary, but more like Violet, probably right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

55. 55
    Carol says:

Definitely Bates (INFJ). No wonder I was so focused on his legal troubles.

56. 56
    Renee says:

Tom and Thomas. For goodness sake! I am sure I am totally a sweet, smart, lovely Anna or Lady Grantham or Sweet Sybil. Stupid quiz. :-) P.S. Like you, I sometimes have to clue people into my sense of humor.

57. 57
    Ruthann says:

I am Sybil, and that is so funny because I like her fabrics the best !!!

58. 58
    Hollie McNeely says:

I am sooooo Anna. This was fun, thanks

59. 59
    Sue H says:

I am O’Brien … YIKES!!! Who would have known??? *laughing*

60. 60
    Grandma Del says:

It doesn’t surprise me that I am an Anna, but I’m also very much like Lady Edith so for my first DA quilt I will use the Lady Edith fabric selection guide. If in the future, we do this again, perhaps I can choose the Anna patterns. I do hope this does not turn into a “Dear Jane” and require over 5,000 pieces per quilt! So far I’m good to go. We now have 18 to 24″ of snow on the ground. It’s a good time to sew!

61. 61
    Dorothy C. says:

I am closest Lord Grantham, not sure I like that!!!

62. 62
    Mona Keegan says:

Oh dear! I am ESTJ, Lady Violet! Well, she does make me happy quite often. :) Pretty interesting.

63. 63
    Debra Herd says:

I’m a Carson. Funny since I love and connect with his character.

64. 64
    Kathy says:

I’m Matthew! At first I thought I’d be O’Brien so maybe it’s a good thing I’m not!

65. 65
    J McMurray says:

Definitely Carson, I have been ISTJ for years. Would make a great butler

66. 66
    marilyn holley-stupka says:

Anna was no surprise to me. I should have realized that before I started.. I wonder which colorway she would choose I am having a bit of a hard time deciding the fabric is all so lovely.

67. 67
    Melody says:

Ah, Mr Bates fits me rather well! I am looking forward to making this mystery quilt.

68. 68

I am Lady Mary – “spot on”!

69. 69
    Terri Whyne says:

IIFJ thinking im close to ANNA :)

70. 70
    Lynn says:

I am a Matthew……….didn’t he die in the last season? Oh no!

71. 71
    Serena says:

I’m Anna!

72. 72
    Lynda Williams says:

I am Edith with a little of Lady Grantham thrown in

73. 73
    Dott Skomp says:

I’m Lady Violet

74. 74
    Debi Shultz says:

Isobel Crowley! My “traits” aren’t much if a surprise. I hadn’t thought about which Downton character I was most like until this quiz.

75. 75
    Janis says:

I’m spot on Sybil, ENFJ. Wow.

76. 76
    another Quilter says:

I have the traits of Isobel Crawley—I do admire her ability to speak her mind, she is even right sometimes!!

77. 77
    Judy says:

I seem to be a little of this with a dash of the other. However I seem to have more in common with the Dowager Duchess. However I do not like snobbery and that class system they had in England. Maybe that is my Scots-Irish ancestry peeking out.

78. 78
    Clare Schmidt says:

I am Sybil-like. LOve all the fabric and can’t wait to start my quilt

79. 79
    Elaine says:

I’m an Anna. Haven’t even seen one episode of the series yet, but have Season One on hold at the library. My husband is also a quilter and participating in the mystery quilt, and he watches it.

80. 80
    Julianne says:

I am “O Brien”, how fun!

81. 81
    Julianne says:

I am an “OBrien”!

82. 82
    WyseWoman says:

The descriptions are a bit hard to read, but I think I’m Mrs. Hughes with a touch of Lady Edith!

83. 83
    Lila Smith says:

I am Sybil. Not at all surprised as I truly am a giver.

Lila

84. 84
    Mary says:

Looks like I’m a Isobel Crawley. Interesting …..

85. 85
    Linda Christianson says:

I am The Crafter it fits me to a tea.

86. 86
    Chris says:

I am ENFP, which is Anna. The profile fits pretty well, it is amazing how much you can figure out with just four questions. This was a fun way to start the mystery!!!!!

87. 87
    Bre says:

I am Violet. Wanting things done the right way etc.

88. 88
    Carole Sample says:

Hard job. I see me in most of them. Perhaps a combo of Lady Grantham and Anna. Can’t wait till the new season.

89. 89
    Mts2011 says:

This quilt along is going to be so much fun!! I match up with Lady Grantham on the personality chart!

90. 90
    Wendi says:

I am Mary and my hubby is a Matthew for sure. Love the show, fabric and mystery quilts.

91. 91
    Jeni L says:

I’m Carson – I love Carson! He’s like an extra father to the girls. This is my first mystery quilt and I’m excited to get started. I’m doing the dowage line of fabric because I love her character and love Maggie Smith. Some of the lines from when the other mother was there for the wedding where priceless.

92. 92
    Sheri says:

The chart said I’m Anna, but today I feel like I’m a little of Edith, Rose, Sybil and Anna

93. 93
    Cecilia says:

I’m an INFP through and through. Matthew and I are true soul mates.

94. 94
    Linda Gabrielse says:

I’m Anna. Love it!

95. 95
    Mari Paradise says:

I feel that I am most like Violet. The Guardian.

96. 96
    LaVerne M says:

My zodiac sign is TAURUS. I am 100% Taurus the Bull…….so therefore I am a cross between Anna & Violet.
    I absolutely LOVE the series. Hope the Seasons continue to run until Mr. Fellowes grows tired.

97. 97
    Dianna says:

I am Carson through and through.

98. 98
    Susan Samson says:

Carson?!?

99. 99
    Pamela says:

Mary and Carson. This is very interesting and great fun.

100. 100
    Judy says:

It appears that I’m a Carson!

101. 101
    Kathy Carenza says:

I am ENFP Anna and I love her….But my Feeling and Thinking are almost equal so I could be Thomas whom I like also, Win-Win for me :-)

102. 102
    Cora says:

What a surprise…a compilation of Lady Crawley, Anna and Thomas. I really don’t like Thomas, but he is resourceful. He needs the moral direction of Anna, I seem to have a bit of all of them. Must remember to walk the straight line.
    It didn’t help me figure out the rotary cutting chart.

103. 103
    Laura W. says:

I’ve already reported I’m Carson (via twitter, I think) but just took it for my hubby & he’s totally Lady Grantham! I’m trying to think about their relationship on the show…I think they respect each other, right? Been so long!

104. 104
    Jennifer M. says:

I just did this for real the other day! I am an INFJ, which apparently makes me Bates. :)
    Thanks for the fun!

105. 105
    Ingrid says:

I’m Lady Grantham.

106. 106
    AshleeW says:

I’m a toss-up between Matthew and Edith (idealist and artist).

107. 107
    Holli says:

Nooo, not O’brien! I don’t even like her, tho I thot she was pretty smart and observant. :/ I hope I’m the nicer, less busy body version of her. In fact, I don’t think an intj would even bother to be a busy body at all. There are much more important things to attend to! Tho, ya DO gotta watch your back…oh god, I AM her…!

108. 108
    Debi Z says:

I got Thomas. Is there an ENTP with a heart? I have very strong values, so that makes me a bit different from Thomas :) How about Lady Rosamund?

109. 108.1
    Macnurse says:

I am the Inventor!

Trackbacks

1. […] For fun via Dr. Halee Gray Scott Here it is: Downton Abbey Myers-Briggs. Who are you? I am […]

2. […] and started the second season this week! I love the show, and I love a good Myers-Briggs profiling. Here’s a marriage of the two! I’m Lady Grantham with EFSJ – who are you?? (Image source). 2. This artistic […]

3. […] the charts are people like Draco Malfoy (Harry Potter), Palpatine (Star Wars), and O’Brien (Downton Abbey). Lisa Spence and I will redeem the INTJs of the world though, don’t worry. I’d also […]

4. […] you heard of the Myers-Briggs Personality Type Test? Well, I approve of this Downton Abbey MBTI Chart. (edit: I approved of this Downton Abbey chart until I took the test and it said I was an […]

5. […] helpful little chart on locating which Downton abbey character you are, determined by MBTI personality profile, was so much fun. (I’m an ENTJ/ESTJ, depending on the […]

6. […] been making the rounds on the internet, and I thought you’d have fun playing. It’s the DA MBTI Personality Chart, and you can figure out which Downton character best describes you based on your personality. Go […]

7. […] match. (I think it’s the Thomas bit). But I do LOVE the show. My friend Rachel who blogs at GraspingForObjectivity created the Downton Abbey MBTI infographic. If you like, it send her some social sharing […]

8. […] all started with Downton Abbey and the internet. You see, I happened upon this post in which the author created a brilliant infographic lining up each character from Downton Abbey […]

9. […] For fun via Dr. Halee Gray Scott Here it is: Downton Abbey Myers-Briggs. http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2013/11/downton-abbey-mbti-chart.html Who are you? I am […]

10. […] probably seen some of the graphics of the Myers Briggs types by movie/TV show. I’m Mary on Downton Abbey. I’m Theodin in Lord of the Rings. I’m Princess Leia in Star Wars. Basically, I’m […]

11. […] {Photos: Wikimedia Commons, Flickr, Washington Post, New World Encyclopedia, Rachel Callahan} […]

12. […] Emperor from Star Wars. Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter. O’Brien from Downton Abbey. What do they have in common, other than being cruel, heartless, nasty pieces of […]

13. […] Downton Abbey MBTI Chart   {I’m an INFJ/ENFJ in case you wondered.} 10 True Things About the First Year of Parenthood   {I’m loving this post from Girl of Cardigan} It’s a Wonderful Life Fridge Magnet   {I’m a Jimmy Stewart fan. Swoon. I love these pieces by Blue Crab Magnets} Creative Personalized Gift Giving Ideas  {Great ideas from Balancing Beauty and Bedlam}  […]